This is the fully-operative map of our Danube trip so far! You can use the left-side panel to summon or dismiss the information you’re looking for. I included information about the route, the distance, the obstacles in between, the places we’ve stayed at, which stretches require a permit, and which parts we (had to) skip on the Danube. Each paddle day has its own related blog post you can read. I’ll update this map the more we travel this majestic river with our inflatable canoe.
Click in the upper right corner of the embedded map to open the map in Google Maps or click here!
If you have any questions or suggestions for the map, please leave a comment!
The Stats on This Map
After 13 days of traveling the Danube, we:
- paddled 267.1 kilometers in total out of 343.6 kilometers of river
- portaged around 42 obstacles like weirs and locks or stubbornly went through them
- had to skip 76.5 kilometers due to protected nature
- arranged two permits to paddle some protected stretches
- fell in the water 1 time (just Iris, not Jonas)
- crossed 1 state border and 0 country borders
- stayed on 2 campsites and went freecamping 0 times (it’s illegal in Germany)
- patronized 12 döner kebab/çiğköfte/falafel establishments
- had 2 dogs nearly pee against our kayak
- experienced 4 rainy/snowy days
- successfully used the kayak sail 1 time
- broke 1 kayak sail (RIP)
- ate Käsespätzle 3 times (of which 1 was homemade)
- experienced 1 case of bird shit on Jonas’ life vest
- got bitten by mosquitoes about 50 times
- worked on our own projects about 24 days
- drank the river water 0 times
- took an absolutely ridiculous amount of photos
- wrote 12 blog posts about the trip